“To reduce loss of life and property in senseless motor vehicle crashes through intensive and interactive defensive driving skill development.”
What is SmartDrive?
SmartDrive is a series of evidence-based defensive driving programs, designed to help reduce motor vehicle crashes and fatalities among teen and young adult drivers. According to the CDC, the number one killer of our young people is motor vehicle crash. As such, this is a tremendous health and public safety threat. SmartDrive exists to help stem the tide of that grim statistic, and save lives by offering a variety of programming, mostly free of charge, designed to effectively and creatively address the problem.
History, Funding, & Desired Outcome
SmartDrive is a concept conceived by Delmarva Broadcasting Company and other concerned individuals and organizations in the state of Delaware in response to the senseless and preventable loss of life among our teens in Delaware resulting from inexperience, poor driving decisions, and practices. The desired outcome for SmartDrive is for a significant number of young drivers to make the right decisions every time they are behind the wheel so they will never put themselves, their passengers or their vehicles in harm’s way.
In order to achieve this mission, SmartDrive delivers a compelling message, multiple, flexible programs, a fun interactive approach, consistent application over time and significant incentives. The program is administered by SmartDrive with assistance from school administrators and faculty, and other concerned public safety officials and educators from the public and private sectors in Delaware.
As SmartDrive enters its tenth full year of operation, the program currently operates in 127 schools in Delaware, Pennsylvania and Maryland and one university, Wilmington University. The goal going forward is to expand operation in other states where appropriate.
SmartDrive is funded primarily through grants and contributions from Delmarva Broadcasting Company and other commercial organizations. As a tax-exempt organization, SmartDrive accepts additional funding from other public and private funding organizations at all levels that will support further expansion of program benefits to its existing users and facilitate expansion to additional communities.
- SmartDrive Online Defensive Driving (insurance discount and scholarship incentives)
- SmartSkills Hands On Course (comprehensive skills training) VIDEO LINK
- SmartSkills CLINIX (targeted skills training – collision avoidance, parallel parking)
- SmartDrive PROMise (Prom and After Prom money for schools) VIDEO LINK TO PROM VIDEOS (the old St. Mark’s and the new Ursuline one)
- Distraction and Reaction (hands on attentive driving) VIDEO LINK
- Call 4 Back Up (hands on backing up skills)
- SIDNE car – Intoxicated Driving Simulator program – new for 2014!
- Drive Smart Don’t Break Your Mama’s Heart Valentine’s Events
- DWI – Driving With Intelligence Assembly Programs in conjunction with the Delaware State Police or local law enforcement – new for 2014!
- Stay Calm and Drive Smart Aggression and Respect Assemblies
- Prom Assembly Program
- SmartDrive University for college students
- Girl Scout Car Care Badge
- SmartDrive Seatbelt Challenge Seatbelt Checks
Statement of Inclusiveness
The mission of the SmartDrive Foundation (SmartDrive) is to improve the safety and quality of life of all people who travel in vehicles in its program geographic areas. SmartDrive recognizes that safe driving is an issue, which impacts everyone, regardless of background. Therefore, SmartDrive actively seeks to promote open access, equity, and inclusiveness in its programming; and to discourage discrimination in the delivery of service, based on race, ethnicity, gender, age, socioeconomic status, and other factors, which deny the essential humanity of all people.
SmartDrive has the conviction that inclusiveness benefits everyone and is not only compatible with but also promotes excellence. SmartDrive’s policies reflect the belief that organizational performance is greatly enhanced when people with different backgrounds and perspectives are engaged in an organization's activities and decision-making process.